Are you thinking about Botox but worried about bruising? Have you had a bad experience with bruising after treatment in the past? You will be relieved to know that bruising is not inevitable and you can take steps before and after treatment to prevent it. Read on:
1. Avoid supplements with Blood Thinning effects for 7 days before treatment.
This includes fish oil, garlic supplements, ginger, ginkgo, ginseng, green tea, red clover and Vitamin E. All of these supplements may increase bleeding tendencies and cause bruising.
2. Avoid blood thinning medications for 7 days before and 1 day after treatment. This includes aspirin and NSAIDS such as Motrin, Advil, Ibuprofen, and Aspirin. If you need to take a pain reliever, Tylenol is perfectly fine. Coumadin and Plavix are also blood thinners however do not stop taking these as they are prescribed by your doctor for a reason! Be aware that you are at a slightly higher risk of bruising while taking them.
3. Avoid alcohol for 24 hours prior to treatment. Alcohol has anti-platelet effects and increases the risk for bruising. So skip that glass of wine the night prior to your treatment.
4. Liberally use Arnica cream. Also known as the Mountain Daisy, Arnica has been used for hundreds of years to safely treat bruising and swelling. At Beautoxetc, we apply arnica post treatment and send you home with a small supply.
5. Find an experienced injector. While post treatment bruising is always a risk, excellent injection technique is key in prevention. At Beautoxetc we take great care in our injection techniques – and we have learned some tricks over the years. Choosing the correct needle size, changing the needle halfway through the treatment, and applying pressure to bleeding sites for a full minute are examples of techniques have proven to be effective.
While there is no way to guarantee no bruising after Botox injection, following these tips will drastically reduce your chances.
Ready to take the step? Let us help you put your best face forward.